Britain’s Foreign Office issued an alert warning British citizens in the Nice area in France to follow the instructions of the French authorities after a Bastille Day attack killed 73 in the Riviera city.
An attacker drove a truck at high speed into a crowd watching fireworks late on Thursday, local media quoted officials as saying.
“We are in touch with the local authorities and seeking more information following an apparent attack on a Bastille Day celebration in Nice. If you are in the area follow the instructions of the French authorities,” the Foreign Office said in updated travel advice on France.
Anti-terror investigators put on Nice attack case: media
France’s anti-terrorism investigation department was asked to take over inquiries into the Thursday night attack in which dozens were killed by a truck that mowed through crowds of people in the southern coastal resort town of Nice, media reported.
In the immediate aftermath of an incident which initial reports said killed upwards of 70 people, officials declined to formally declare the attack as terrorist assault pending further news. But several French media said the anti-terrorist investigation department had been put on the case.