Supporters say they’ll raise money and collect signatures to help the Tea Party favorite run for president in 2016
Draft Ted Cruz For President launched its website Wednesday, citing a goal of collecting one million signatures this year to “lay the groundwork for the kind of grassroots army of volunteers, donors, and early-primary voters that is needed to win in 2016.”
The super PAC, which can raise unlimited sums to bolster a possible presidential bid by the Lone Star State Republican, filed organizing paperwork with the Federal Election Commission in January. Its treasurer, Paul Kilgore, is a former aide to Newt Gingrich who also served as treasurer for a super PAC supporting Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s 2012 presidential bid. The new group devoted to boosting Cruz has not yet filed any financial disclosures.
The effort was announced on the conservative website Redstate.com by Raz Shafer, a regional director for Cruz based in Texas. “I’ve never spoken to Ted about him running for president and I honestly don’t know if he will do it,” Shafer writes, “but I do know he won’t succeed unless freedom-loving Americans like you and me begin organizing this effort now.”
Why a draft petition?
It’s time for Americans to kick-start a national campaign to draft Ted Cruz. We can’t sit on the sidelines and allow a repeat of 2008 and 2012. That’s exactly what Hillary Clinton and the Democrats want us to do. It’s also what Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, and the rest of the Republican establishment wants.
The last thing anyone in the DC establishment wants is for grassroots conservatives to start laying the groundwork RIGHT NOW to put one of our own in the White House in 2016.
That’s why the Draft Ted Cruz for President petition is so important. Your petition does two critical things:
- It urges Senator Ted Cruz to run for president by showing the overwhelming number of Americans who support him, and
- It lays the groundwork for the kind of grassroots army of volunteers, donors, and early-primary voters that is needed to win in 2016.
Our goal is to collect 1 million signed petitions this year to serve as the backbone of a campaign that will culminate with Ted Cruz taking the Oath of Office as the 45th President of the United States on January 20, 2017.
It’s time for conservatives to be proud of their vote again. Please sign the national petition to draft Ted Cruz for President.
Why Ted Cruz?
America needs a principled and fearless leader who will overturn Obamacare the minute Barack Obama leaves the Oval Office, one who respects the Constitution and will stand up to the ruling class in Washington, and one who will inspire a tidal wave of energy and excitement needed to defeat someone with a political machine like Hillary Clinton.
Who better to do that than the man who stood for 21 hours and 19 minutes on the floor of the U.S. Senate in a historic filibuster against Obamacare and rallied 2 million Americans to sign a petition to end this government overreach?
We need Ted Cruz to run for President!
- Ted Cruz stood up to the gun-grabbing liberals like Dianne Feinstein to protect the 2nd Amendment.
- Ted Cruz fought to stop the IRS from targeting and harassing conservatives for political purposes.
- Ted Cruz battled pro-amnesty supporters like Chuck Schumer.
- Ted Cruz refused to let Harry Reid fund the implementation of Obamacare without a fight.
- Ted Cruz exposed senators of both parties for giving Obama a “blank check” to rack up unlimited debt after they first tried using Senate rules in a desperate attempt to conceal their vote.