Yesterday was the deadline (kinda) for the Obamacare exchange. And while this Administration has decided to recognize deadlines with the same uncompromising dedication they show for the Constitution (please, please, please invent a sarcasm font), they still felt the need to “brag” about the millions that have signed up on the Obamacare website… After prolonged loading times (leave it to the government to bring the experience of the DMV into the 21st century), over 6 million individuals have signed up.
Math, as it turns out, continues to be the plague of Obamabots everywhere. While the Administration makes claims about a fraction of Amazon.com’s customer base signing up, the big question still haunts White House Press conferences: How many uninsured were enrolled with Obamacare?
Well… It turns out Jay Carney doesn’t feel comfortable answering that question. And, with some rather simple arithmetic, it’s pretty obvious why the Administration feels uncomfortable addressing the bill’s key metric of “success”. Given the trending demographics of enrollees, and the industry projections for first time customers, the numbers don’t exactly look “good”. According to Breitbart:
Even conceding the White House its alleged six million enrollment figure (which, again, includes duplicates and incomplete applications), that would mean that just 810,000 of paying Obamacare customers were previously uninsured, a figure that represents 1.7% of America’s 48.6 million uninsured people.
So, we have imposed a government takeover of healthcare, cancelled roughly 6.2 million insurance policies, and hiked premiums so that less than 2 percent of “America’s uninsured” could seek tax-payer subsidized health insurance? It almost seems like a well-placed ad, during Sesame Street, could have yielded similar results… With far fewer congressional hearings.
Of course, without tens of thousands of pages of regulations (which are apparently up for executive interpretation) Democrats wouldn’t be able to recruit new voters. To the extent that people are benefiting (because, surely there are a few soon-to-be Democrat voters who are seeing a benefit from government-controlled healthcare), the question has to be asked: was this monstrosity really the best way to approach the problem of America’s uninsured? Apparently, we have allowed government to turn healthcare into the cyber-equivalent of the DMV, so that 1.7 percent of people without current health coverage can “get covered”… Oh, and the other 98.3 percent of the uninsured will get taxed to help subsidize those lucky few who made it through the virtual labyrinth of Healthcare.gov.
Besides, it’s hard to believe that Obamacare was entirely about providing healthcare to the masses when voter registration cards are being sent out to enrollees, and the path to solvency makes Ponzi’s investments look positively appealing. From the very beginning, Healthcare Reform was more about earning Democrats “street cred” among the uninsured than improving a failing healthcare system. (This, by the way, is part of what makes it so darn pleasing to see Democrats scramble away from the political napalm of the Affordable Care Act.)
Despite the manic ramblings of Debbie Wasserman-Schultz and Nancy Pelosi, it seems pretty clear that President Obama’s poorly socialized healthcare scheme was not the right way to go about obtaining adequate health insurance for the uninsured… But, then again, no one ever accused Pelosi and Debbie of being the brightest women in America.
Some liberals, including the aforementioned Pelosi and Debbie, have insisted that Obamacare will be a winning message in 2014. And while it may be hard to make the math jive with that political calculus, it might not be a bad message for Democrats to adopt in 2014… At least, for Republicans. Given the recent poll numbers on Obamacare, the ineffectual implementation, and the botched attempt to thrust socialism on the American people, Obamacare may be the greatest gift to liberty the Left has bestowed on the public in several decades.
The longer Obamacare limps along in the headlines, the more political ammunition Republicans will be able to put in their high-capacity-campaign-magazines.