Philly police: Tot, 2, picks up gun, kills sister

 A 2-year-old boy apparently shot and killed his 11-year-old sister while they and their siblings played with a gun inside a Philadelphia home, police said Sunday.

Jamara Stevens was fatally shot Saturday morning with a gun that police believe was brought into the home by the mother’s boyfriend a few hours earlier.

The mother was home with her four children in a master bedroom, Lt. John Walker said. Police say the shooting occurred when she left the room at about 10 a.m. to use the bathroom.

While playing with the weapon, the 2-year-old boy pointed the loaded, cocked gun in the direction of his 11-year-old sister and it discharged, striking her in the arm, according to authorities.

Investigators say the bullet then traveled through her chest, hitting her heart.

jamara_small Philly police: Tot, 2, picks up gun, kills sister

The girl was taken to the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia where she was pronounced dead at 10:20 a.m.

The surviving children and Goldwire were taken to police headquarters, where the mother was questioned for nearly five hours, according to reports.

After the family members were interviewed, investigators swiped them for evidence.

Sources tell NBC10 authorities determined the 2-year-old boy pulled the trigger because his arm had traces of gun powder and a burn from the blast.

Police say this is not the first time they have been to the Mantua home and that Goldwire is not cooperating with the investigation.

Detectives say they are trying to figure out who owned the handgun, which they found on Goldwire’s bed.

After the shooting occurred, neighbors and relatives could be seen visibly upset outside of the Mantua home as members of CeaseFire arrived in the neighborhood to post signs calling for an end to shootings.

No charges have been filed as homicide detectives continue to investigate. 

The 2-year-old pointed the loaded, cocked gun in the direction of his sister and the gun discharged, according to investigators.

The fatal bullet struck Jamara’s shoulder and then traveled to her chest. Jamara was rushed to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, but died about a half-hour later, police said.

The girl’s mother was at the hospital, Walker said.

“She was distraught,” Walker said.

Police believe the mother’s boyfriend had brought the gun to the house and stashed it on top of a refrigerator. It’s not immediately clear who brought it to the bedroom.

Homicide detectives are investigating and will forward information to the district attorney’s office, police said. No charges have been filed.

The name of Jamara’s mother could not immediately be confirmed Sunday evening.