RAW: Family Released Video of Police “Restraining” Luis Rodriuez outside Okla. movie theater

 The family of a man who died after an altercation with police outside of an Oklahoma movie theater has released a cellphone video of the incident.

The video shows 44-year-old Luis Rodriguez face down on the ground outside a Moore theater with five police officers restraining him. One officer is seen holding Rodriguez’s head down.

Police say Rodriguez became uncooperative when officers questioned him about a possible domestic disturbance.

Autopsy results are pending.


Moore police spokesman Jeremy Lewis said Tuesday afternoon that Rodriguez died at the hospital.

Rodriguez’s wife, Nair Rodriguez, has told local media that police beat her husband and that he died outside the theater.

Police say three officers involved in the incident are on administrative leave. The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is investigating.

from fox:

The family of Luis Rodriguez has released cell phone video of the arrest of the family patriarch at a Moore movie theater.

moore-police-custody-death-family_small RAW: Family Released Video of Police "Restraining" Luis Rodriuez outside Okla. movie theater

Luis Rodriguez died in the early morning hours of Feb. 15th after he was detained at the Warren Theatre in Moore. His wife, Nair, recorded the incident on her cell phone.

Five officers were called to the parking lot on a domestic disturbance. Three are Moore Police officers, the other two are security officers at Warren Theatre.

Police reviewed the video and say the officers did not have any malicious intent. They returned the phone to Nair last week but the family waited until this week to release it.

The Video

In the video, Nair tells police she got into an altercation with her daughter day of the Luiz’ death. She admits to hitting her 19-year-old daughter in the video for ‘violating rules in her house’.

One officer holds Rodriguez’s head down and the others are on top of him as they handcuff his hands behind his back.

As she explains what happened, she stops mid-sentence and asks if her husband is okay, saying he’s not moving. She then says that police killed her husband and asks someone to tell her that he’s alive as he is placed on a stretcher.

Attorney Statement

In a statement released by the family’s attorney, Michael Brooks-Jiménez says the Rodriguez family went to a movie at the Warren Theatre when Nair and her teenage daughter got into an argument. Nair eventually walked to the car with Luis following to calm her down. That’s when the attorney says police confronted him.

The attorney say Luis wasn’t involved in the domestic disturbance that the police were called to but the officers focused their attention on him, taking him to the ground and using pepper spray on him.

Jiménez says five officers forced him down and handcuffed him as he was unconscious or possibly already dead.

Moore Police respond

The responding officers said he failed to cooperate with them and sprayed him with pepper spray before handcuffing him. Autopsy results are pending.

Police say three officers involved in the incident are on administrative leave.

The Moore Police Department asked the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation for assistance in the investigation into his death.

After weeks of accusations, the public is now getting the chance to see a video that was taken the night a local man died in police custody.

Nair Rodriguez, Luis Rodriguez’s wife, said from the beginning her husband was beaten by police.

On Tuesday, her attorney’s office released the video, allowing everyone to decide for themselves what happened to him.

In the video, Nair Rodriguez is heard calling for her husband to tell her if he’s okay.

However, he did not answer.

It was just one of the scenes that unfolded in the video.

After about a minute, an officer approaches her to discuss what happened.

Kyle Eastridge is a former homicide investigator and is now working as a private investigator.

As he watched the video, Eastridge said, “Those guys are out of breath.”

As the video continues, Eastridge notes that Rodriguez does not seem to be responsive.

He says it is hard to give an opinion on the case since he does not know what happened in the moments leading up to the arrest.

However, he says the officers did not use excessive force based on his knowledge of police procedure.

Eastridge said, “This is pretty benign as far as police procedure goes. Everything is textbook. I don’t know what happened before.”

When talking about an officer who had his knee on Rodriguez’s back, Eastridge said, “He’s not really bearing down on him. He’s just trying to keep him down.”

As the video comes to an end, Eastridge and H.L. Christensen, another private investigator, noticed paramedics taking action, which they believe shows  Rodriguez was likely alive as he was loaded into the ambulance.

Both men say without seeing an autopsy report, it is hard to say whether police were responsible for Luis Rodriguez’s death.

The Rodriguez family attorney spoke for the first time on Tuesday.

Michael Brooks-Jimenez said Luis did not deserve to die.

He said, “Luis committed no crime. He was not armed. He had no gun, no knife, no weapon of any kind. But Luis is the one who lost his life that night.”

It is still unknown if he died from excessive force by police or some other unknown factor.

Eastridge said, “It’s going to come down to what does the medical examiner report say?”

We are still waiting on the medical examiner’s report to be finalized.

The medical examiner’s office said it could be several weeks before that happens.

Moore police and the OSBI both declined to comment on the investigation or the release of the video.