US stands by charges against Boston bomb suspect

Prosecutors say they oppose a defense motion to dismiss some charges against Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (joh-HAHR’ tsahr-NEYE’-ehv).

The filing Friday in federal court in Boston says the number of charges “reflects the number of crimes Tsarnaev committed.”

Tsarnaev_small US stands by charges against Boston bomb suspect

Two pressure cooker bombs were placed near the marathon finish line last year, killing three people and wounding more than 260. The 20-year-old Tsarnaev has pleaded not guilty in the attack.

Prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty against him for crimes that include using a weapon of mass destruction.

Lawyers for Tsarnaev said in a motion last month that the charges are repetitive and the total number could sway jurors weighing whether to find him guilty and, if they do, whether to sentence him to death.

Conference set for friends of Boston Marathon suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev

Lawyers for three friends of Boston Marathon suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev are headed to court to update a judge on evidence turned over by prosecutors.

The pretrial conference is scheduled for Monday morning.

Two of the men are charged with removing a laptop and a backpack containing fireworks from Tsarnaev’s University of Massachusetts Dartmouth dorm room several days after the bombing.

A third man is accused of lying to investigators about visiting Tsarnaev’s dorm room.

All have pleaded not guilty. Trial is scheduled for June 23.

Tsarnaev has pleaded not guilty to a variety of the charged stemming from the April 15 attack that killed three and injured more than 260.