8 Children Who Died Because Of Their Negligent Parents


Herbert and Catherine Schaible are members of a small Pentecostal community in Pennsylvania that believe in faith healing—the concept that if God wants someone to live, he will save them. They also believe using medicine is a way of ignoring God’s will.

In 2009, the Schaible’s lost their two-year-old to pneumonia, after insisting on praying for him, rather than taking him to a doctor. They were charged with involuntary manslaughter and sentenced to ten years probation, with the caveat that they must seek medical care if another child fell ill.

That didn’t work. In 2014, they were brought before the yet court again with third-degree murder charges for refusing to take their eight-month-old to the doctor. The couple pleaded no contest and were sentenced to seven years in prison. Their seven surviving children were put in the care of relatives and foster parents. (Source 1 | Source 2)

The parents that starved their child despite having plenty of food

logangardner_small 8 Children Who Died Because Of Their Negligent Parents News

Tivasha E. Logan and Chauncey Gardner

Tivasha E. Logan and Chauncey Gardner had plenty of food in their home when their five-month-old daughter died of starvation. They also received food stamps, a $674 Social Security check each month specifically for the infant and were part of the county’s Women, Infants & Children program, which provides formula for free to families. Despite this, they only had 2 ounces of formula in their home, and what they fed the baby, they watered down to a 3:1 ratio rather than the 1:1 ratio as specified in the directions.

When their baby was born, she was a healthy girl, weighing 7 pounds, eight ounces. In her short life, she was never taken to the doctor for a single check up. When she died, she weighed only six pounds—a pound and a half less than she weighed at birth, and less than half of what the average 5-month-old weighs. Tivasha told detectives that she didn’t want to take her baby to the hospital because she was fearful of losing custody.

The couple had three children together and were also caring for two of Tivasha’s children from a previous relationship. They had been investigated four times before, but authorities never found enough evidence to support removing the children from the couple’s custody.

After the infant’s death, the five children were put in the care of a relative. Tivasha and Chauncey were arrested and charged with first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse. Tivasha was sentenced to life without parole, while Chauncey, who claimed he no longer lived in the home full time and didn’t know that his daughter was in such bad shape, was given a thirty-year sentence. (Source 1 | Source 2 | Source 3)

Continue Reading Here: http://www.oddee.com/item_99937.aspx