Woman’s headphones reportedly explode during flight after falling asleep

An unidentified woman travelling from Beijing to Melbourne last month reportedly suffered from burns on her face and hand after her headphones exploded on her face.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported that the incident occurred mid-flight on Feb. 19. The woman, who was not identified, told agents at the Australian Transport Safety Bureau that she was listening to music at the time.

She was wearing battery-operated headphones and she was startled by an explosion. She reportedly said, “As I went to turn around I felt burning on my face. I just grabbed my face, which caused the headphones to go around my neck.”

Flight attendants responded by pouring a bucket of water on the headphones. The battery and cover were melted and stuck to the floor, the paper reported.

headphonesexplode_small Woman's headphones reportedly explode during flight after falling asleep World News

The ATSB did not identify the company that makes the headphones.

“The ATSB has assessed that it is the batteries, as the power source, that caught on fire and are therefore the issue… All batteries contain stored energy and are therefore potentially risky,” the report said.

Last year, Samsung halted sales of the Galaxy Note 7 smartphone after finding batteries of some of the devices exploded while they were charged.

Samsung issued its first global recall of the flagship smartphone because it has not found ways to specify exactly which phones may endanger the user. The smartphones are being yanked from shelves in 10 countries, including the U.S. and South Korea.

Some buyers reported their phones caught fire or exploded while charging, sharing the photos of scorched phones on social media. Samsung said it had confirmed 35 such cases in South Korea and overseas.

There have been no reports of injuries related to the problem.

  • DrArtaud

    Lithium batteries are a scourge on the world. Compact, high ampacity, they are going to cost lives as cargo holds on planes catch fire from devices stored in luggage or shipping containers. I’ve actually heard an Alkaline 9 V battery fail catastrophically. My wife and I heard an explosive pop, and the smoke detector alarm went off. We searched the house, no sign of fire, and went to remove the smoke detector battery to silence it but noticed the bottom of the 9 volt battery had blown apart but was contained by the battery holder. This is one reason to periodically push the test button on your smoke detector, if this happened when we weren’t home we’d never known the detector wasn’t working. After replacing the battery the detector worked without issue.

    Trivia, 9 volt batteries are actually batteries, AA, AAA, AAAA, C, and D size batteries are Cells. Dry cells commonly put out 1.5 volts, wet cells found in your car battery 2 volts. A group of cells form a battery to put out higher voltages, there are 6 cells in your car battery for 12 volts output.

    Video: Are lithium-ion batteries too dangerous?

    Video: Laptop Battery Fire

    Video: Flashlight explodes in father’s mouth

    Video: Tactical Flashlight Exploded!

    Video: Man Injured In Vape Explosion

    Video: Fire Exploding Hoverboard Caught on Camera

    Video: “Controlled” explosion of a UltraFire 18650 battery

    Video: World’s Most Dangerous Battery!

    And the list of failed items goes on and on. The Vape Explosion video was due to carelessness on the users part, the battery compartment door was missing and his keys shorted it, but other examples are easily seen where the batteries just blew up or caught fire.

    To minimize risks, don’t use Lithium Ion batteries, or Lithium Polymer batteries, or devices powered by same, if you don’t have to. My amateur radio batteries are Lithium Ion, as are my phone batteries, but I don’t need tactical flashlights with them, or other devices. I will not intentionally purchase items that use these batteries if other options exist. Be careful if you drop a device that uses these batteries, and stop use and remove damaged batteries and dispose of outside away from your house.

    Safety Tips (Some General Tips for most household Cells and Batteries)

    Follow these safety principles when using batteries:

    • Always follow warnings and manufacturers instructions for both the batteries and the battery-operated product. Use only the correct type and size battery indicated.
    • Check the contacts of both the battery and the battery-operated product for cleanliness.
    • Always insert the batteries correctly with regard to polarity (-/+), matching the positive and negative symbols of both battery and product.
    • Remove and safely dispose of exhausted batteries immediately.
    • Replace all batteries in battery-operated products at the same time and with the batteries of the same type and manufacture.
    • Do not short circuit batteries. When the positive (+) and negative (-) terminals of a battery are in contact with each other, the battery can become short circuited. For example, loose batteries in a pocket with keys or coins can be short circuited possibly resulting in venting or explosion. Store batteries properly.
    • Do not heat batteries.
    • Do not crush, puncture, dismantle or otherwise damage batteries.
    • Always use the Correct Charger for the device.
    • Do not charge non-rechargeable batteries.
    • Keep batteries out of reach of small children.