During any other war in U.S. history, our government was willing and able to readily identify our collective enemy. The current war on global terrorism, however, has become far more nebulous due to the far left’s campaign of appeasement.
Instead of objectively analyzing the evidence to find that the vast majority of terror attacks are perpetrated by Islamic radicals, the politically correct crowd continues to deny that there is any correlation between the “religion of peace” and countless acts of depraved violence.
While this phenomenon is unfortunately nothing new, a recent report by Judicial Watch indicates that the Federal Bureau of Investigations has been systematically stripping direct references to Islam in its training curriculum.
The report includes 12 years of documentation compiled to show a pattern of placating the sensibilities of religious Muslims while downplaying the potential risk found within the faith. According to the report, FBI Director Robert Mueller met with Islamic leaders early last year, which led to the purge of information.
At least one of the Muslim groups represented at that meeting was named by our government as an unindicted co-conspirator in a terrorism-funding lawsuit in 2007.
The report lists several excuses used by the FBI in rationalizing the whitewash. One of the changes related to a “highly inflammatory” article that “inaccurately argues the Muslim Brotherhood is a terrorist organization” despite the fact that Mueller himself described the group in 2011 as one that supports terror at home and abroad.
“The Qur’an is not the teachings of the Prophet,” another update claimed, “but the revealed word of God.”
One struggles to recall the last time our government described the Holy Bible in a similar manner.
The very detailed report also offers a timeline of meetings leading up to the removal of “offensive” references to Islam, concluding with the consulate attack in Benghazi, Libya that the White House blamed on an absurd YouTube video.
The report concludes that such pacification will result in a more dangerous world.
“Until there is someone with the job of defeating the Islamist active measures campaign targeting our nation…,” the report states, “the United States and her citizens are in grave peril.”
–B. Christopher Agee
“U.S. Government Purges of Law Enforcement Training Material Deemed ‘Offensive’ to Muslims”
“Documentation and Analysis of Islamist Active Measures and Influence Operations Targeting Anti-terrorism Training” includes detailed chronology, identifies specific propaganda organizations, names top Obama administration “Islamist influence operators”
(Washington, DC) U.S. Government Purges of Law Enforcement Training Material Deemed ‘Offensive’ to Muslims: Documentation and Analysis of Islamist Active Measures and Influence Operations Targeting Anti-terrorism Training.”
The 26-page Special Report includes a detailed chronology, identifies specific Islamic propaganda organizations, and identifies five top “Islamist influence operators” associated with the Obama administration. More than 12 years of Judicial Watch work on national security issues is featured in the Special Report, highlighting information from government documents exclusively obtained by the organization.
The heavily footnoted Report centers on the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s (FBI) purge of anti-terrorism training material and curricula deemed “offensive” to Muslims. The curricula purge – documented through a Judicial Watch Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit in June 2013 – occurred following a February 8, 2012, meeting between FBI Director Robert Mueller and various Islamic organizations. According to the Report, the purge was part of a “broader Islamist influence operation” designed to “influence the opinions and actions of persons, institutions, governments and the public at-large.” The Report also documents incidents of “Islamic influence operations” at the Departments of Justice and State, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Obama White House.
According to the Report, during the February 8 meeting, FBI Director Mueller assured the Islamic groups in attendance that the agency had ordered the removal of presentations and curricula on Islam from FBI offices around the country that were deemed “offensive.” One group that met with Mueller – the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) – had been named by the government in 2007 as an unindicted co-conspirator in the Holy Land Foundation terrorist financing lawsuit, along with the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR), and the North American Islamic Trust (NAIT).
The Report lists the reasons given by the FBI for purging “offensive” training documents:
- “Article is highly inflammatory and inaccurately argues the Muslim Brotherhood is a terrorist organization.” [Editor’s Note: The Special Report reveals that in 2011, Mueller had described the Muslim Brotherhood as a group that supports terrorism in the U.S. and overseas.]
- “Page 13 inaccurately states that AQ [al Qaeda] is responsible for the bombing of the Khobar Towers and that AQ is ‘clearly linked’ to the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center.”
- “The Qur’an is not the teachings of the Prophet, but the revealed word of God.”
- “Remove sweeping generality of ‘Those who fit the terrorist profile best (for the present at least) are young male immigrants of Middle Eastern appearance.’”
- “[A]uthor seems to conflate ‘Islamic Militancy’ with ‘terrorism’ and needs to define the difference and use it in their analysis.”
Included in the Special Report’s “Chronology of Recent Developments in Influence Operations” are the following incidents:
- July 2011: State Department and OIC meetings on “Istanbul Process,” Secretary Hillary Clinton tells Organization of Islamic Cooperation that U.S. government will use “old fashioned techniques of peer pressure and shaming” against “Islamophobia.”
- October 2011: 57 Muslim groups send a letter to White House demanding “purge” of all counterterrorism training materials and “re-education” of all FBI agents exposed to “Islamophobic” training.
- October 2011: DOJ Civil Rights Division meeting with Islamic groups to discuss criminalizing criticism of Islam as “discrimination.”
- October 2011: Joint Chiefs of Staff issues action directive to screen trainers for military intelligence and psychological operations based solely on Ackerman’s Wired report.
- November 2011: White House responds to Muslim groups’ “purge” demand letter, agrees to set up inter-agency task force, including extremist Muslim groups, to oversee FBI counterterrorism training development.
- January 2012: U.S. Military Academy at West Point cancels an address by a highly decorated founding member of Delta Force and former Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence, Jerry Boykin, after complaints from the Hamas front group CAIR.
- February 2012: Islamic groups meet with FBI to ensure compliance with demanded Islamophobia” purge.
- July 2012: Top DOJ Civil Rights official refuses to vow to Congress not to push Saudi-style blasphemy laws.
- September 2012: Obama administration blames attacks on U.S. Embassy Cairo and the “Special Mission Compound” in Benghazi on a YouTube movie trailer.
According to the Report, “The Obama administration has been penetrated by Islamist influence operators, seeking to advance an ideological agenda completely at odds with our constitutional system. The penetration is, in many cases, by the Obama administration’s invitation. Some of the more public and controversial figures associated with the Obama administration have included:
- “Rashad Hussain – U.S. Special Envoy to the OIC … has a history of participating in events connected with the Muslim Brotherhood.
- “Huma Abedin – Long-time personal aide to former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton [whose] late-father, mother and brother are all connected to Muslim Brotherhood organizations or operatives.
- “Daliah Mogahed – An advisor to the White House Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships. Mogahed’s 2009 book Who Speaks for Islam? is viewed by many as an apologia for the growing power and influence of radical Islamists. Mogahed is an unapologetic defender of unindicted terrorist conspirator organizations such as CAIR and ISNA.
- “Momamed Elibiary – A Texas-based security consultant and Islamic cleric who was named to President Obama’s Homeland Security Advisory Council in 2010. He has close ties to a convicted Hamas fundraiser and other radical Islamist causes ….
- “Mohamed Magid – … President of the ISNA, an unindicted terrorist conspirator organization. Magid was appointed by President Obama to the Department of Homeland Security’s Countering Violent Extremism Working Group. From that position, Magid was key in influencing and directing the purge of training materials and policies in the FBI and other federal agencies.”
The Report concludes, “It is fair to say that not a single U.S. government employee goes to work each morning with the mission of identifying and defeating the Islamists’ active measures campaigns. Large bureaucratic institutions are reluctant to ‘disturb’ operations with examinations for deception and manipulation. Those same organizations are loath to raise those subjects in congressional appropriations requests and hearings fearing any political criticism. Until there is someone with the job of defeating the Islamist active measures campaign targeting our nation – and resourced to roll back the Islamists and win – the United States and her citizens are in grave peril.”
The Report includes a riveting section on Anwar al-Aulaqi, a U.S. citizen and militant imam who has been described as the “spiritual leader” and inspiration of the 9/11 hijackers; the Fort Hood murderer, U.S. Army Major Nidal Hassan; and the 2009 Christmas Day (attempted) airline bomber, Umar Farouk Abudulmutallab of Nigeria, and others. Killed by a U.S. drone strike in September 2011, al-Aulaqi had been the subject of Judicial Watch litigation resulting in the release of more than 1,800 pages of records revealing a highly questionable relationship between the terrorist leader and the U.S. government, leading the Special Report to suggest, “… it appears he was, at least, a U.S. government informant.”
One document obtained by Judicial Watch revealed al-Aulaqi, who had been placed under FBI surveillance for his possible involvement in the 9/11/01 terrorist attacks, had lunch in the dining room of the Secretary of Defense in February 2002 and made a presentation to Pentagon brass as part of the military’s outreach to the Muslim community. Yet, according to records and surveillance logs obtained through a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit against the FBI by Judicial Watch, the Bureau issued a bulletin at 10:40 a.m. the day before the Pentagon luncheon (February 4, 2022) that declared al-Aulaqi to be a terrorist. The al-Aulaqi warning notice reads: “Warning – approach with caution . . . Do not alert the individual to the FBI’s interest and contact your local FBI field office at the earliest opportunity.”[Emphasis added.]
“The American people deserve complete, accurate, factual information concerning the threats of subversion and terror posed to our country,” said Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton. We will continue to investigate, analyze and pursue additional lines of inquiry concerning Islamist influence operations targeting the law enforcement and intelligence agencies, the Defense Department and the media. Our Report is a steppingstone for further inquiries by Congress, government watchdogs, and the media.”